Moved from once to today
1670 to 1938
Around 1670, a country estate for noble urban families was built on the Waid, including a manor house, barn and garden, wells and farmland. In 1828, the Waid was first used as a restaurant, since 1835 with the so-called Speisepatent. During reconstruction work, a healing spring was discovered and a health resort was built next to the well-attended inn. In 1908, the city of Zurich acquired most of the property. The old Waidgut was converted into a municipal hospital. In 1878, the inn had been moved to the edge of the forest to its present location. In 1921, those in charge transformed the business into a non-alcoholic summer inn and, five years later, into the "Waidberg" restaurant. Up to this time the Waid had known twelve innkeepers.
A large crowd of visitors was expected at the national exhibition in 1939 on the Waidberg (Zurich's most famous vantage point). Therefore, the old restaurant Waid, a tavern and still on Wipkingen ground, was demolished and rebuilt to the right of it and consequently becoming part of Höngg. It opened on 5 May 1939 - one day before the official opening of the national exhibition "Landi 39".
1939 to 2003
From 5 May 1939 to 1947, Mrs. Schellenberg was the host at the Waid, followed by Karl Grau from 1948 to 1972 and Alex Meier in the years 1973 to 2003. In this time there was a comprehensive reconstruction with a large window front, new main entrance, kitchen, storage and cellar rooms, realized within only five months in late 1979 and early 1980.
In 1980, after the completion of this first major renovation after forty years, the restaurant was renamed Neue Waid. Mr. Meier retired at the end of 2003 after thirty successful years in the restaurant.
Since 1 January 2004, Thomas and Susanne Hofstetter have been tenants of the property owned by the City of Zurich. Within just three months from January to mid-April 2004, the Restaurant Neue Waid was renovated by star architect Pia Schmid and subjected to a comprehensive facelift, which matched the two concepts of Jahreszeiten Restaurant and WOK Beiz. On 22 April 2004, the restaurant was reopened under the new name of Die WAID.
08/09 June 2004
In the night from 8 to 9 June 2004, the WAID restaurant fell victim to a devastating fire and had to be completely rebuilt.
July 2004 to May 2005
In the time of the reconstruction after the fire, a fully functional tent restaurant with the name "Profisorium" was erected in the chestnut garden, so that the guests could still be served on the Waidberg. During the ten months in the tent, the two concepts of seasonal kitchen and WAID wok were offered - although on a slightly smaller scale - which the tent guests liked very much. There were even tears when the "Profisorium" had to be taken down at the end of May 2005.
from July 2005
On 7 July 2005, the restaurant was reopened only 399 days after the fire. Various parts had been redesigned in a modern way. Since then, the two culinary concepts "Seasons - Kitchen" and "WAID - Wok" have shaped the ambiance on the most beautiful vantage point in the city of Zurich.